Philippe Melka’s Rock Star Effort

Fahri & Constance Diner created Skipstone after successful careers as entrepreneurs and venture capitalists.  The vineyard is sits like an amphitheater carved into a horseshoe-shaped mountain hidden high above Alexander Valley. With their European roots Fahri & Constance strive to create the best wines to rival the quality and artistry of California’s most highly regarded wine estates.  Add Philippe Melka, winemaker extra-ordinaire and you see where this is going…

Skipstone 2014 Oliver’s Blend “Estate” 
Retail  134.99 – GGWC 124.99
FREE SHIPPING on 4 or more
Use code SKIP during checkout

OK to mix & match with other Skipstone Wines

Winery Notes: “Our annual approach with Oliver’s Blend is to create a blend from up to 20 individual small lots of Cabernet Sauvignon from our steepest, rockiest hillsides. Each lot has a unique profile (based on soil type, exposure and clonal selection) and blended they
create a foundation. This Cabernet Sauvignon is then embellished with our other blending varietals to best showcase the vintage. This year the foundation Cabernet was structured and powerful. We left it as the primary voice at 98%. The remaining 2% is Merlot which added a lovely roundness and fleshy mouthfeel to the wine. The wine is beautifully expressive of our site. With so many pockets of soil differentiation and exposures, Oliver’s Blend is a symphonic compilation of aroma and flavor. This coupled with clonal diversity of three separate Cabernet clones creates an exceptionally complex wine. Year after year, this is a wine of profound power and elegance.”

Robert Parker 94 Points: “The 2014 Oliver’s Blend is largely Cabernet Sauvignon (98% with 2% Merlot) aged in nearly three-fourths French oak for 18 months prior to being bottled. Loads of earthy, loamy soil notes intermixed with underbrush, blackcurrants, black cherries, tapenade and some subtle oak are present in this dense purple, full-bodied, muscular style of wine. Like most 2014s, it is already showing plenty of deliciousness and should continue to do so for at least another 15 or more years.”

Also check out the most amazing white made by Philippe Melka as well –

Skipstone 2015 “Estate” Viognier 
Retail 60.00 – GGWC 57.99
FREE SHIPPING on 6 or more
Use code SKIP during checkout

OK to mix & match with other Skipstone Wines

The 2015 Skipstone Viognier exhibits a delicate light citrine color that reflects just like the faceted jewel. The nose is very generous revealing enticing aromatics of white peach, honeysuckle and jasmine with crushed rock notes that provide remembrances of youth spent on a hot summer day by the river. On the palate this wine is seamless, elegant and full bodied. The structure is balanced and complete with well integrated acidity and a long, satisfying finish.

Winery Notes: “Five rows of Viognier span the northern peaks of our amphitheater shaped vineyard. Situated on steep mountain terraces, the thin rocky soils force the vines to struggle which in turn brings out intensity and complexity in the fruit. Steady sun exposure during the day followed by afternoon shade blesses us with the ability to achieve both ripeness and long hang time. This in turn adds depth and complexity to the fruit. To balance the weight and intensity of this voluptuous grape, we limit the exposure to oak and avoid malolactic fermentation. Thus the final wine is full but bright and absolutely delicious.”

Click here or on the links above to order!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply