It began almost 30 years ago… a love affair with the wines produced from the Bordeaux region of France. Particularly, wines from the small, family owned Chateaus that dot the rolling hillsides of the beautiful ‘Right Bank’ countryside. It is from here, that Scott Palazzo got his inspiration. Finally, the chance to fulfill a life-long passion and dream of producing a wine of exceptional character and style, that would capture the ‘power and elegance’ of the wines he tasted and enjoyed as a young man living in France. In November 2005 that dream was realized… when he released his first vintage of PALAZZO Napa Valley Red Wine! The White blend followed, and rest as they say is history.
Last week I conducted a blind tasting of whites and Palazzo Cuvee Blanc came in first, by a horse length!
The lineup was impressive…
- Peter Michael “Apres Midi” (94 Pt Parker)
- D’Arche (94 Pt Parker)
- Booker (92 Pts Parker)
- La Mission Haut Brion Blanc (96 Pt Parker)
- Domaine Gerard Boulay Sancerre Comtesse (93 Pt Parker)
- Louis-Benjamin Dagueneau Sancerre Monts Damnes (94+ Pt Parker)
- Domaine Vacheron Sancerre Clos des Ramparts (94 Pt Parker)
- Araujo SB (92 Pt Parker)
- Cape Point (93 Pt Parker)
- Rudd Estate (91 Pt Parker)
- Dragonette (93 Pt Parker)
- Jonata (Screaming Eagle Winemaker – 92 Pt Parker)
- Palazzo Cuvee Blanc (96 Pt GWC)
Palazzo 2011 Cuvee Blanc Proprietary White, Napa Valley
Retail 53.00 – GGWC 48.99 FREE SHIPPING on SIX or more.
Use discount shopping code “PAL11CV” upon check out.
As with all wines, the vineyard site is the very essence of the Cuvee Blanc, and the 55 year-old, head-trained Semillon vineyard just north of Yountville is a remarkable place! It’s a wild and rugged place where the vines are essentially left to their own devices, so refreshingly unlike the manicured perfection we’re all used to seeing in Napa Valley. The picture of Scott Palazzo (He is 6’3″) standing next to one of the vines. (No, that’s not a peach tree!) The Palazzo 2011 Cuvee Blanc is a blend of 90% Semillon, 10% Sauvignon Blanc. The nose is ‘floral & seductive’… filled with intense aromas of pear blossoms, orange peel & beautiful notes of acacia honey. On the palette the wine is ‘beautifully balanced’ with a rich oily texture, along with stunning acidity! Delicious white peach, pineapple & stone fruit flavors fill your mouth … eventually giving way to a wonderfully long, exquisite finish… especially for a white wine! A ‘Superior Food Wine’ to be enjoyed!
In the making of this wine, whole-cluster presses 70% of the Semillon into neutral French barrels where it is fermented and aged on the fine lees for 7 to 8 months, to achieve the weight and texture the wine possesses. The remaining 30% is fermented in stainless steel for freshness and aromatics. The 10% Sauvignon Blanc, completes Palazzo’s vision of a classic Bordeaux Blanc and provides bright acidity, structure, and floral notes to both the nose and palate.
Click here or on the links above to order!
Also check out the PALAZZO 2008 PROPRIETARY RED NAPA VALLEY
Share on Facebook